Tips for Caregivers
You are an essential part of your loved one’s treatment circle. There are many things you can do to help.
- Find out as much as you can about your loved one’s diagnosis and treatment
- You’ll have a better idea of what to expect during your loved one’s journey
- Understand the dosing schedule and potential side effects of CABOMETYX
- You can help your loved one keep an eye on both—especially side effects, since some can be managed
- Go to checkups with your loved one
- He or she will have a second pair of ears listening to the oncology doctor or nurse
- Come prepared with questions to ask the oncology doctor or nurse
- Make sure you get all the answers you’re looking for
- Take notes and speak up!
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions if you don’t understand something
- Try to be as organized as possible
- There’s a lot of paperwork in healthcare to keep track of
- Make sure you have a place to store important documents so you can find them easily
- Join a support group
- This way you can spend time with people who also have a loved one living with cancer
- Set aside time to do something you enjoy like taking a walk, reading a book, or watching your favorite show
- Stay healthy!
- Go to the doctor for checkups, stay active, and eat healthy foods like fruits, vegetables, and protein-filled nuts and yogurt
- Don’t be too hard on yourself
- You are learning to be a caregiver every day, and with learning there may come times when you feel you should have done something differently. Don’t focus on that. Instead focus on the positive things you’re doing for your loved one
Additional ways to get support
Organizations designed to support you and your loved one
Here are some support organizations you may want to read about or get in touch with.
Kidney Cancer Organizations
Liver Cancer Organizations
*Linked with permission from the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, Inc. All rights reserved. NCCN makes no warranties of any kind whatsoever regarding their content, use or application and disclaims any responsibility for their application or use in any way.