Tips for Patients and Caregivers
Tips for patients
Prepare for your doctor’s appointment by partnering with your healthcare team
Before the appointment
If possible, ask your caregiver or friend to come along with you to your visit.
Be prepared with questions you want to ask your healthcare team, such as:
- What are some of the tests that will show if my treatment is working?
- How often will I need to take these tests?
- Who do I contact if I think I’m having a side effect?
- Are there exercise restrictions?
- What are the steps I can take to eat healthier?
During the appointment
- Ask your caregiver or friend to help by taking notes for you
- Ask questions if there is something you do not understand or are worried about
- If you feel unsure, ask your nurse to write down key information for you
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions — your concerns matter
- Schedule your next doctor’s appointment before you leave
- Use your phone or the Wallet Card in your Treatment Journal to keep the contact information with you
Tips to support your overall health and wellness
Eat well. Talk to your healthcare team about your nutrition goals.
- It is important that your body gets the nutrients and calories it needs
Keep moving. Talk to your healthcare team about exercise and what is right for you
Be mindful. Meditation may help with anxiety, stress, and fatigue
Know your blood pressure (BP). BP is important to staying healthy; talk to your healthcare team about your BP
Tips for caregivers
You are an essential part of your loved one’s treatment circle. Here are some suggestions of how you can help, and also how you can take care of yourself.
Know what to expect
- Find out as much as you can about your loved one’s diagnosis and treatment
- You will have a better idea of what to expect during your loved one’s journey
- Understand the dosing schedule and potential side effects of CABOMETYX
- You can help your loved one keep an eye on both—especially side effects
If you have any concerns, be sure to discuss them with your doctor or nurse.
Attend doctor’s appointments
- Attend checkups with your loved one
- He or she will be a second pair of ears listening
- Come prepared with questions
- Make sure you get all the answers you are looking for
- Take notes
- Do not be afraid to ask questions if you do not understand something
- Try to be as organized as possible
- There is a lot of paperwork in healthcare to keep track of
- Make sure you have a place to store important documents so you can find them easily
Take care of yourself
- Join a support group
- This way you can spend time with people who also have a loved one living with cancer
- Set aside time to do something you enjoy like taking a walk in nature
- Focus on you and your health
- Go to the doctor for checkups, stay active, and eat healthy foods like fruits, vegetables, and protein-filled nuts and yogurt
- Be kind to yourself
- Focus on the positive as much as possible and how you are supporting your loved one through his or her treatment. This is not easy, but take things day by day, milestone by milestone. It may help you get through challenges that come along the way
LEARN MORE ABOUT
There are many resources available for you or someone you are caring for to help throughout the treatment journey.
The BE CONNECTED support program provides educational information for you or someone you are caring for who is taking CABOMETYX.